Thursday, August 6, 2009

Journals 5 & 6

These are my newest journals for cancer patients. I will be mailing them and they are going to take a flat rate box for $9.95 so I figured I would make enough to fill the box before I mail them to Shirley!


Both journals started out as a composition book that I bought at Walmart for 50 cents. The front and back are covered with scrapbook paper and the inside covers are lined with cardstock. For the one on the left I stamped text on a piece of cream CS and distressed the edges with tea dye distress ink pad from Ranger. The 3D flower is from a sheet I found on the net.

For the one on the right I cut out the picture from a thank you card set I bought at Dollar Tree for $1 for 8 cards and envelopes. I cut the dark mat with a Nesties curved rectangle and the larger mat from a scrapbook sheet of a map. I cut the frame for the sentiment using 2 curved rectangles at the same time.

Here are the sizes to cut the paper to cover the journal. From scrapbook paper or other paper cut 2 pieces 8" x 11.5".
Leave some of the spine showing and cut notches around the curves before gluing to the inside of the cover.

For the liner cut 2 pieces of paper or CS 7.25" x 9.5". Round 2 corners of a long side and glue to the inside of the covers.

If you would like to join in and make a journal to be given to a cancer patient contact Shirley Nagel at srcattle@aol.com This is an ongoing project so there is no time limit. I would like to thank those of my reader who have contacted Shirley already. We can make a little difference in a cancer patients life through our art.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Jennie, how can I thank you for doing this. Your journals are wonderful! I will be donating the journals to a large cancer center and they are thrilled to get them. Thank you also for putting info on how to cover the composition books. I have tears in my eyes but they are happy tears...thank you.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL Jennie!!! What treasures they are and will be!!!